Originally founded in 1869 as a music club intended exclusively for women performers, Portland Rossini Club soon developed an enthusiastic following among music lovers. Concerts and activities were regularly reported and reviewed in the Portland newspapers.
In the 1980s, we began to welcome men among our performing members, and we currently have thirty performing members, eight of whom are men. Fully half of our members are pianists, and the rest are instrumentalists or vocalists.
We own two Steinway Concert Grand Pianos. One, a 1921 model is rented to Portland Conservatory of Music, and our 1939 Steinway is housed at our current venue, The Cathedral of Saint Luke, 143 State Street, in Portland.
We have no paid staff. Our Executive Board carries out our business, and plans our programs and scholarship competition.