About The Rossini Club
Originally founded in 1869 as a music club for women performers, Portland Rossini Club soon developed an enthusiastic following among music lovers. Concerts and activities were regularly reported and reviewed in the Portland newspapers.
In the 1980s, the club began to welcome men, and among its thirty-some performing members, fully half are pianists, and the rest are instrumentalists or vocalists.
The club owns two Steinway Concert Grand Pianos. One, a 1921 model is rented to Portland Conservatory of Music, and our 1939 Steinway is housed at our current venue, The Cathedral of Saint Luke, 143 State Street, in Portland.
The club is managed by a volunteer Executive Board who handle the club’s business, including planning programs and a scholarship competition.
Affirming the value of access to a variety of well-performed music in the broad classical idiom for performers and listeners alike, members of the Portland Rossini Club present affordable monthly public classical concerts. We strive to express the highest possible standards of performance and musicianship.
In the interest of supporting the coming generation of classical performers, we hold annual scholarship competitions for singers, instrumentalists and pianists who are college music majors.